A hearty Fall dinner
We have just had a couple of rainy, cooler days here on the shore as a result of Hurricane Matthew. It seemed like the perfect weather to make a hearty Sunday meal. I came across this recipe on a blog I follow. I loved this healthier version of a lasagna, it was amazing! I hope you will give it a try.
NOODLE-LESS BUTTERNUT-SAUSAGE LASAGNA
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 15 minutes
This fall lasagna swaps pasta for butternut squash layered with a chicken sausage meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella. Simply wonderful, you won't miss the pasta!
This recipe is adapted from Skinnytaste.com. I just made the layering instructions a little easier to follow.
- 14 oz Italian chicken sausage, casing removed (Al Fresco-uncooked)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 large butternut, peeled (3 lbs)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 large egg
- 16 oz (4 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, brown the sausage breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon until cooked, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and black pepper. Simmer on low, covered 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice butternut into 1/8″ thick rounds with a sharp knife. Some grocery stores have peeled butternut squash already cut in chunks. Just cut them down a bit more. If you have that option go for it. Butternut squash can be hard to cut. You can also use a mandolin (be careful).
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, parsley and egg, mix.
- In a deep 9×12 casserole dish spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom and layer rounds or chunks of butternut slices to cover. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and another 1/3 of sauce. Second Layer: Lay rounds of butternut, the other half of ricotta mixture, another 1/3 of mozzarella and 1/4 of the sauce. Third Layer: slices of butternut, the remaining sauce and cover with foil. *do not worry too much about exact amounts just follow the layers.
- Bake covered 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, cook uncovered 30 minutes (this helps dry out excess moisture). Top with remaining cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 5 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings, Serving Size: 1/8th
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 9
- Points +: 9
- Calories: 402
- Total Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Sodium: 918mg
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 29g
Read more at http://www.skinnytaste.com/noodle-less-butternut-sausage-lasagna/#A9wIWtucygc6Zu2S.99